Spoiler Box functionality for posting.

If you have comments or suggestions, feel free to post it here. We will try our best to respond to you all.

Spoiler Box functionality for posting.

PostPosted by Fission » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:24 pm

Hello.

I was wondering if the admins of this site could add spoiler box functionality to this forum.

What is a spoiler box?

A spoiler box is a box inside a post with text or images in it. By default it is closed hiding the text inside it and making the visible post shorter. The box button to expanded the spoiler box, revealing the text or images inside, as well as re-close it.

This can be used to improve the flow of a post, without removing information. This can be especially useful if the posts that involve chart(s), example image(s), or large blocks of explanatory text.

Here are some examples.

Here is a post I've already made on this forum. As you can see in it's current form it is a bit long and needlessly awkward when everything is visible.

however with the addition of a spoiler box it becomes much more compact. people can get what they need without having to read as much text, and those who are curious or want more information can still have it available at the push of a button.

closed

open

Spoiler boxes are also very helpful for threads that involve maps, charts, and images.

Since this is an RPG forum we can expect topics and threads featuring all of these things.

- character art/sheets
- maps
- stat charts
- fanart
- video game screenshots

Are all examples of things we can expect to see being included in posts in the future assuming this game and forum grow and are used.

Here is an example of a post in a thread (from another forum) where spoiler boxes make the number of images involved in discussing the topic (in this case the painting of customized miniature models) much more manageable and less disruptive to the flow of conversation.

Here is the post with spoiler boxes closed.

And here it is with them open.

The post is so long in this form that it will take up the whole screen and then some.
While that is great for getting a look at the information (in this case examples of model's painted in specific ways but it could easily be RPG related things) it also disrupts the flow of discourse in the thread for readers and contributors.

So, to summarize:
I would like the admins to implement spoiler boxes for this forum.
I want them to do this because I believe it will be a useful tool to facilitate communication between users on topics related to the forum’s subject.
I feel this is especially true for this forum because discussing both videogames and tabletop RPGs can involve the use of images, charts, tables, and large blocks of text.

Thank you.
Last edited by Fission on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fission
Survivor

Re: Spoiler Box functionality for posting.

PostPosted by theMarg0r » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:37 pm

That is a really good idea actually, spoiler tags can be very useful for a multitude of reasons other than just convenience. Actual spoilers, for one, or when you have a thread that's full of pictures, hiding them in spoiler tags can make the page load more quickly and more smoothly, my internet connection at home is pretty garbage and it's not uncommon for pages with a lot of images or animations to load slowly, or for some pictures to fail to load. It's a bandwith issue.

I didn't even realize that there was a lack of an option to put things in spoiler tags, so thanks for bringing it up.
theMarg0r
Survivor

PostPosted by BlackSun » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try my best to add the "spoiler box" feature or have some of my colleagues to add it.
BlackSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted by Fission » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Thank you very much.
Fission
Survivor

PostPosted by BlackSun » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Fission,

I've added the
Spoiler:
Spoiler tag that you suggested. Thank you for continued support and to you too theMargor.

We will try our best to be of service to you all.
BlackSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted by Fission » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:17 pm

BlackSun wrote:Hi Fission,

I've added the
Spoiler:
Spoiler tag that you suggested. Thank you for continued support and to you too theMargor.

We will try our best to be of service to you all.

Thank you for your continued efforts BlackSun.
Fission
Survivor

PostPosted by BlackSun » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:46 pm

No problem, I'm glad to be of service to you guys. Thank you for your continued support.

PS: Don't forget to bring in more folks here in the forum. it's kinda lonely here sometimes. :lol:
BlackSun
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Comments & Suggestions