Name for attributes

This is where we will post our polls and surveys to get your thoughts and feedback on certain features, ideas and concepts that will be done in the game.

Awareness or Vigilance? Mind or Willpower?

Awareness
36%
or Vigilance
14%
Mind
No votes
or Willpower
50%

Total votes : 14

Name for attributes

PostPosted by AnomalousUnderdog » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Right now here are the names of our attributes:

Might: physical strength
Agility: speed and dexterity
Physique: toughness and endurance
Awareness: perception
Intellect: intelligence, mental capacity to solve problems
Mind: willpower, strength of mind, mental tolerance
Presence: ability to influence others through words or actions

Between ourselves in the dev team, we have a few suggestions on more self-descriptive or more poetic sounding names: changing "Awareness" to "Vigilance", changing "Mind" to "Willpower", etc. but since it's really subjective, we thought you guys could weigh in with your opinions.

You can go ahead and vote, or feel free to post suggestions for better names.

DISCLAIMER: The poll results won't be the ultimate deciding factor in our decisions, but we'll definitely consider them in our discussions.
AnomalousUnderdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Name for attributes

PostPosted by theMarg0r » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:17 pm

A poll already? Cool! I'll chip in with my two cents, since I've already arrived early to the party. 8-)

In my opinion, vigilance is too much of an... emotionally charged term. Awareness is fine. As for Mind/Willpower, given the descriptions in the original post, I'd go with Willpower. Mind sounds like it could get confused with Intellect concerning what it does and what its function is.

That's it for now, thanks for asking!
theMarg0r
Survivor

PostPosted by Gendasi » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:24 pm

Simply put, I've played tabletop games for nearly 20 years and "willpower" has always made more sense than most other descriptions. Often times, the best way to decide on an attribute name has been to find similar words/phrases to describe what that attribute is/does and see which one of THOSE concisely describes all the other choices, including the original.

Awareness is perfect, as it covers not just the 5 basic senses, but the extra-sensory, which may or may not play a role in the game. To reduce it would lessen effectiveness or require the creation of a new attribute/ability to compensate.

Willpower fits wonderfully, as someone who has a strong presence of mind tends to have a greater mental fortitude and a stronger personality. "Mind" leaves one to ponder whether it encompasses quick thinking, puzzles, psychic defense/ability, and whatnot. It also leaves it vague to those unfamiliar with this style of game what it means. Does it mean the character is mentally unstable or incompetent? Does it mean they're not good with riddles and math problems? Are they some kind of savant? If the term conjures more questions than a tooltip can provide in three lines, most players ignore it, from my experience. Willpower sums things up beautifully.
Gendasi
Survivor

PostPosted by AnomalousUnderdog » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks for the responses, we'll include your answers in our design meetings.
AnomalousUnderdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Polls Section